The purpose of the Central Ohio Weaving and Fiberarts Guild is to stimulate interest in weaving and fiber arts by interaction with each other; to educate members through lectures, workshops, and interest groups; and to encourage public interest in and appreciation of the fiber arts.
The Guild traces its beginnings back to 1933 when women from all over Ohio met while exhibiting at the Ohio State Fair. Exhibits were held at Hayes Hall and the Southern Hotel in 1936. In 1937, these women organized as Associated Ohio Weavers, and in 1938 the name was changed to the Weavers’ Guild. Membership encompassed the entire state but was dominated by the Columbus area. Guild work was exhibited at the Columbus Art Museum, the forerunner of the Columbus Museum of Art. Over the years, the guild has brought great fiber artists to Columbus, including Peter Collingwood, Marguerite Davidson, Catharine Ellis, Laura Fry, Judith MacKenzie, Kelly Marshall, Deb Robson, Robin Russo and most recently, Franklin Habit.
The Central Ohio Weavers Guild was founded in 1937. In 2017, the Guild looked at the membership interests and realized ‘we are truly ALL about fiber!’ In staying true to our members and our interests, we have changed our name to the Central Ohio Weaving and Fiberarts Guild.
THE GUILD TODAY
The Central Ohio Weaving and Fiberarts Guild continues to be a vital source of education and energy for central Ohio fiber enthusiasts. From September through May of each year, the guild holds monthly meetings with free program talks for members on a variety of fiber crafts. Members have the opportunity to participate in educational workshops throughout the guild year. In an effort to promote the fiber arts, guild members share their knowledge with the public through demonstrations and retreats. Check out these many opportunities throughout the website and join us as we embrace all things fiber!